GO TO ANOTHER SECTION:
SUMMARY OF RECOMMENDATIONS
1. Create the Office for Immigrant Advancement (OIA) to institutionalize and elevate immigrant integration policies, programs and practices in San Diego.
2. Increase and diversify financing models to meet the diverse needs of newcomers, to sustain integration systems and to cultivate partnerships.
3. Highlight stories of immigrants and welcoming communities through strategy convenings, agenda-setting in regional conversations and cultural celebrations.
4. Leverage data and implement evaluation measures to improve policies and practices on immigrant integration.
5. Facilitate career advancement of immigrants through job placement, rights protection, inclusive recruitment, upskilling and re-credentialing.
6. Promote immigrant entrepreneurship and support immigrant-owned businesses.
7. Promote financial literacy among newcomer communities.
8. Ensure housing stability and reduce barriers toward homeownership.
9. Remove barriers to existing education programs for children and adults, and expand family engagement and support.
10. Enhance multicultural curriculum in K-12 education and increase supportive services for newcomer students.
11. Increase professional development and deepen partnerships between school districts and immigrant community organizations.
12. Expand language access and ensure services are user-friendly and culturally-responsive.
13. Advance civil rights and eliminate unscrupulous practices.
14. Increase mobility and usage of public transportation.
15. Increase civic participation among new and aspiring Americans.
16. Create infrastructure to build and sustain civic engagement and increase naturalizations.
17. Develop immigrant and refugee leaders.
Safe and Connected Communities:
18. Foster trust and communication between public safety departments and immigrant residents.
19. Increase capacity of law enforcement to serve multilingual and multicultural communities.
20. Facilitate community-building among native-born and foreign-born residents.